Smartphone images may be submitted as photographed or light phone editing. To resize your image on your phone after you have cropped or have done your color corrections, email the photo to yourself. You will get a prompt to send either Actual, Large, Medium, or Small. Medium is usually around 1 MB, that is what you need to upload, no larger. Of course, you can edit your image on your computer as well so email actual photo to your email, download and continue editing with the instructions below.
All other images must be in JPEG format, RGB or Grayscale mode, 72ppi and sRGB color space.
To ensure anonymous judging, do not include any identifying information in the photo or file names.
The longer side of your image must be 1024 pixels. The shorter side may be any size up to and including 1024 pixels.
Image file size may not be greater than 1MB (1,048,576) bytes), so adjust your "quality" setting accordingly when producing images for submission.
Image Preparation Tips:
While we can't cover all the details for all possible software and platforms, we have prepared a generic step-by-step guide (based on Adobe Photoshop) for those needing a little guidance. If you need help preparing your images, these tips can probably be applied to most image editing software with minor differences.
Steps to prepare your images:
- Open your source image and do all cropping, color corrections and other changes first.
- Select the "Image>Image Size" menu and set the resolution to 72 pixels/inch.
- Make sure "Constrain Proportions" is checked and set the dimension of your longest side to 1024 pixels. FYI - ignore the size number next to "Pixel Dimensions". That's the amount of memory the image occupies while you work on it. File size is determined in step 10 below.
- Click OK to resize the image.
- Do your final sharpening.
- Select the "File>Save As" menu.
- Set the image format to "JPEG", uncheck "ICC Profile", and check "Use Lower Case Extension".
- Browse to the folder where you want to save the image and click OK.
- Select "Baseline Optimized" for the format option.
- Adjust the "Quality" slider while watching the file size change below. Set it as close to 1024KB as possible without going over. (FYI - ignore the pulldown menu for line speed. It is for reference only.)
- Click OK and store the image on your disk.
- The image is now ready to upload via the contest submission form.
If you need further assistance preparing your images, here are a couple of informative website links that will guide you through the process:
If you are using some other software, search for "resizing photo using XXX" with XXX being your program and you will probably find lots of resources to help you.